The Second International Conference on Simulation for Additive Manufacturing (Sim-AM 2019) will be organized in Pavia, Italy, on 11-13 September 2019. The first edition of this conference was held in Munich, Germany in 2017 and attracted more than 170 participants.
Additive manufacturing (AM) is evolving as one of the most promising manufacturing technologies for creating solid structures of virtually any shape. Furthermore, AM allows to produce more complex shapes than those obtained through classical manufacturing techniques. As a consequence, applications for AM products range across many fields in engineering, from design models to lightweight components for automotive or aerospace industry, from patient-specific medical implants to civil engineering structural and/or architectural components
All these aspects clearly raise new questions for numerical simulations, computational models and design optimizations of the involved products and processes. While products obtained by innovative design approaches through a real shape and/or topology optimization have the potential to revolutionize the market their design itself is much more complicated than for classic manufacturing techniques. Additionally AM Processes involve multi-physics and multi-scale phenomena. Whereas relevant spatial scales range over many orders of magnitude, important time scales start at microseconds for physical processes and reach to hours or even days. The involved physics often include mechanical, thermal, and phase change problems.
Finally, validation and verification are clearly essential steps to accelerate the transformation of AM into an integrated design to manufacturing tool.
- CAD to part chain
- Innovative application
- Material modeling
- Multi-physics and multi-scale simulation
- Shape and topology optimization
- Simulation for different AM technologies (fused deposition, laser based methods, …)
- Validation and verification
The conference is organized in: plenary lectures, general sessions, invited sessions, round-tables. In particular:
- Plenary lectures will be given by recognised experts in targeted research areas
- General sessions cover the main topic of the conference, are managed by Conference chairs or members of the International Advisory Board as distinguished researchers in the field
- Invited sessions are managed by single colleagues, who are willing to collect other colleagues on topics related to the conference. Invited sessions do not necessarily need to have title which coincide with the ones for General Sessions
- Industrial Workshops will be driven by industries involved in the use of AM and will see the active presence of scientific experts